Washington State EV Sales Tax Exemption
The original sales and use tax exemption for clean alternative fuel, electric, and plug-in hybrid vehicles expired June 1, 2018, and the last day to use this exemption was May 31, 2018. The previous program expired because the total number of qualifying vehicles titled in Washington since July 15, 2015 reached the 7,500 vehicle limit.
Beginning Aug. 1, 2019 a revised Washington State sales and use tax exemption for new or used clean alternative fuel and certain plug-in hybrid vehicles is available and will run in three phases:
Phase 1: August 1, 2019 through July 31, 2021
Pay no sales tax on the first $25,000 of qualified new EV purchase
Phase 2: August 1, 2021 through July 31, 2023
Pay no sales tax on the first $20,000 of qualified new EV purchase
Phase 3: August 1, 2023 through July 31, 2025
Pay no sales tax on the first $15,000 of qualified new EV purchase
The exemption will be applied to the sales price or monthly lease payment when you purchase or lease a new passenger car, light duty truck or medium duty passenger vehicle that meets one of the following requirements:
• The vehicle is powered exclusively by a clean alternative fuel.
• The plug-in hybrid is capable of traveling at least 30 miles using only battery power, and sold or valued at $45,000 or less (including the amount of any trade-in vehicle).
For qualified used vehicles purchased or leased between Aug. 1, 2019 and Jul. 31, 2025, there is a sales and use tax exemption available for up to $16,000 of the sales price or lease payments.
• Offer valid August 1, 2019 through July 31, 2025
• Consult WA DOL and DMV for additional details
• Restrictions apply, subject to change
Pay no sales tax on the first $25,000 of qualified EV purchase.